html> roses of summer
[blog] [tag] [links] [archives] [credits]

Thursday, July 07, 2005

 
    Today was such a tiring day. By the way, I made a pact with Cynthia to type in Queen's English from this day onwards. Since this is the only blog in which I allow myself to lapse into colloquials, it shouldn't be too difficult to maintain my word.

    At any rate, I digress. Today was by our standards a light day, what with two lectures and then double GP to end off. But during Chem lecture, the PA system crackled to life and then there was this queer announcement from the principal that there was "an emergency" and that everyone was to gather at the assembly area on the double, but not in so many words of course. So, the entire LT was up and moving immediately after the announcement died off, haha. Mrs Chiew looked miffed that this pioneer of an announcement had to interrupt her highly interesting and relevant periodicity lecture. Too bad, Mrs Chiew. (Only half joking, as usual.)

    Then after that break passed uneventfully enough, seeing as how the Maple server was down till twelve. Which precluded any playing during our break. At any rate, I idled away the break with the second SAT book I bought with Sian Chen. It's interesting, learning to beat the system. For instance, one book claims that the Exam Testing Syndicate (or something like that) or ETS for short puts the wrong answer for one of the sets of questions on the choice A. Let's say the question asks you to rephrase a part of the question. Choice A will always be the same as the part of the sentence that needs to be replaced. What a red herring.

    It's truly disturbing to read stuff on the Net nowadays. Look - I was reading this article on the flaws in the argument for capital punishment and the author cites that the death penalty is "not unusual" as

    "All of the nations of the world have had the death penalty on the lawbooks throughout most of their recorded history, and the death penalty remains on the statute books of about half of the nations of the world. The death penalty was on the statute books of all the states of the U.S. when the Constitution was adopted. It is far more unusual to have no death penalty than to have a death penalty."

    How can this be?! There's a case for the death penalty simply because the majority of the nations in the world practise this in their country? Goodness. What is the world coming to.

    Queer. The site says that there are actually pro-abortion/anti-death penalty "liberals". I don't understand these people. HOW, can anyone in the right mind, ever condone abortion but not the death penalty? I am not arguing for either, but surely if one is okay, the other one is too. Oh well.

    I agree with Martin Luther King, that "Capital punishment is society's final assertion that it will not forgive." But since this is not a GP essay (tongue in cheek) I don't have to and won't elaborate.

    I realise this is a potentially dangerous topic to embark on. It's controversial, has been and always will be. Mercy or misguided feelings versus justice or cruelty or revenge. A rose by any name...

    This is getting stale. I'm so bored. I can't wait for nine tonight when I go join the crowds on Maple server. Maple is the juice of my life. I simply can't imagine how you poor people survive without it. And live on TV instead. Haha, I'm aware I'm anachronistic in a way. Ciao, folks.
slash with the pen ||| 5:38:00 pm