html> roses of summer
[blog] [tag] [links] [archives] [credits]

Thursday, March 23, 2006

 
    You know, I was thinking. (Yes, appreciate the rarity of the event and celebrate.) We're all nineteen this year and we're starting work. Most of us.

    We're going to be contributing to the workforce, God willing, for...forty years at least

    Assuming number of public holidays remain constant (that's twelve a year):
    Total number of PHs = 12 X 40 = 480 days

    If you take into account that a starting level job has 18 days of leave (any less is horrible)
    Total number of leave days = 18 X 40 = 720 days
    Fortunately, this number is a conservative estimate and will hopefully go up.

    Therefore,
    Total number of work days = 52 X 5 X 40 - 480 - 720 = 9200

    That's the equivalent of CONTINUOUSLY WORKING
    25.205 years OR
    302.466 months OR
    3066.667 days without rest, if we all work eight hour days. Not taking into account OT.

    And what if the maximum age for working extends to... seventy?

    I think that's really sad. Take all the time we've lived up to now - or for myself - and add about a third - that's all the time we're going to spend in jobs. Even more time than we spend schooling!!! How horrifying.

    In case you were wondering (and I shan't insult you by assuming you were), I derived this from my constant inactivity in the office. Like duh, right. Owell. I live to create spreadsheets.
slash with the pen ||| 3:18:00 pm