html> roses of summer
[blog] [tag] [links] [archives] [credits]

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

 
    Why is there this persistently very disgusting cigarette-like smell hanging around the table where I'm sitting? Not to be faculty-ist or anything, but is this a FASS thing? I can't really stand it.

    On second thought I remember yesterday in Stats Lecture Yuan and I gave each other scrunched up faces when the punk in front of us came back from the break stinking.

    There's nothing morally wrong with smoking - unless you count the lack of self-control usually associated with giving in to a habit and creating an addiction - but it's a rather socially selfish act, if you ask me. Which of course no one is. But I dare hazard that despite all the advertising (in other countries, naturally) and so-called coolness of smoking causing many to give in, the majority of people are not lighting up. If they aren't lighting up, chances are they don't like the smokers to, well, smoke. It's a turn-off to see young people (relatively) puffing and knowing they're consuming the only product engineered to kill you. You wouldn't go out in the haze to exercise, but you'd increase the PSI with your tobacco.

    I really do believe that to each his own, go ahead and do whatever you like - as long as your actions do not impinge on my own freedom to do as I like, with the same restriction that I do not limit your actions. I mean, if what I do doesn't bother you or anyone, then (to me) it's marginally better than doing something that bothers, irritates or worse - harms others. Note: marginally better doesn't mean it's good, it's just the lesser of two evils.

    I'm just frustrated. I hate the smell and I think it's grossly unfair that my sense of smell refuses to tell me what's cooking in the kitchen but only informs me if someone is smoking anywhere within ten metres of me. -.-

    It's so unreal to be plugged in to moody music, hating the smell and the...people next to me are discussing "will the world end if I don't hand in my paper?" -.-
slash with the pen ||| 1:56:00 pm