Wednesday, November 22, 2006
Work, work, work, work....
- AUGHHH I hate exams, I hate studying. But you do learn things while studying too.
E.g, George Bernard Shaw foresaw a two hour day by 1980. Obviously, that hasn't happened. Two hour work day! No, I cannot imagine. Keynes predicted that leisure would become humanity's next great challenge - but I think he meant it rather the opposite from what it is now. Workaholism is becoming an epidemic. This article talks about people who are genuinely in love with what they do. So in love they garb their children in office-branded apparel and deck their halls with company logos and not holly. For crying out loud, there are support groups to help cut what they call the "emotional umbilical cord" to the company they work for.
So all these are bad. Then why are we learning how to tie people to work, to motivate them to become no more than a living and thinking machine? Once we graduate, we'll become a part of that machine. Pffft.
What happened to having a family and children and dinner at home -.- maybe they didn't have it so bad back when all females were housewives and the men came back and they spent reasonable amounts of time with the whole family, sigh. But as always there were bad things and there were good things.
I went back and read my old entries (again) because I noted that this blog's fast approaching it's 500th entry. Wow. To be precise, it's just passed the 475th entry milestone. This Christmas will also mark the...fourth Christmas since the conception of my blog. That's three whole years! Wow. So much has changed. Thankfully amongst those has been my spelling, sentence structure and propensity to do memes :p I challenge you all to go back to the first meme you did and do it again! And cringe because you did things so differently, especially if you were like me and spelt things horrendously and punctuated every other sentence with an exclamation mark :p thanks be, I've changed ^_^ Look, Ma, I now capitalize letters!
G'luck to all those taking exams, A levels drawing to a close already, people in NTU are in the midst of their first sem exams and us at NUS are now trying to hug the buddha's legs and burn midnight oil (it suddenly struck me that doing the above two activities at the same time could be fatal :D) and it'll all be over by..6th! -cast wary glances at Joey-
And happy birthday to Gill! Having the dubious honour of being one of my oldest friends :) and my best work-time lunch buddy ever! Even though it's been 12 years already (going on thirteen ;)), hopefully it'll last a lot longer.
slash with the pen |||
3:21:00 pm